For this Application Assignment, I decided to do a power point presentation touching upon a few concepts from this week's reading. My basic premise was to interview a hospital employee and ask her a few questions about her experience with and thoughts about the organization's administration and protocol. I asked her these three general questions:
1. "From a perspective of a hospital employee, is your hospital administrative structure set up in a way that is effective? Effective meaning the employees are happy, the patients satisfaction scores are high, and the hospital is fiscally solvent?"
2. "Does the administration add value to the organization?"
3."If there was one thing you could change about your hospital's administration, what would it be?"
From the answers that came from the interview, I connected what she said to specific of the concepts such as "Vertical Linkages" and "Matrix Forms." This assignment was more of an "exploration" for me. It involved learning how hospital organizations are set up and also making inferences, and drawing conclusions about how a hospital may function
**In this PowerPoint I could not get my video to rotate vertically so instead it shows horizontally. If anyone could tell me how to fix this issue, I would really appreciate it, so if it happens again in future projects I will know how to fix it. The "rotation" button was not working. I spent a couple hours trying to fix, it. Thank you Hope you enjoy the PowerPoint presentation:
"http://www.slideshare.net/slideshow/embed_code/14518173?hostedIn=slideshare&page=upload"
If anyone has trouble viewing the videos I have included them below: The first is the video for "slide 2" and the second video is for "slide 3"
Video for slide #2: http://youtu.be/SqNo_vKwsZg
Video for slide #3: http://youtu.be/3gFRxbcxP2Y
It's interesting that you characterized the hospital as a matrix structure. Do you think hospitals may sometimes also be organized according to a divisional structure? Which structure is most appropriate?
ReplyDeleteAlso, you note a few parameters for what it means to be an "effective" organization. Can you think of any other parameters that might be used to gauge organizational effectiveness?
Hi Dr. Neff,
ReplyDeleteI think that a hospital has divisonal structure qualities/characteristics. For example: There is a Pediatric Division, ICU, Day Surgery/Recovery,Human Resources and they are self managed I thought that however, describing a hospital as a divisonal structure in it entirety and is limiting. There is alot of fluidity among upper management and interaction with the CEO/CNO/ and CFO which to my understanding is not a characteristic of divisional structure.
Parameters that could be used to measure an organization's effectiveness include Image/repuation, bandwith and influence, degree of financial solvency, Customers (in this case patient) Satisfaction scores, degree of innovation,and
employee satisfaction
Hi Alexandra,
ReplyDeleteSimilarly, I also looked at a health care/hospital system in my studies. While I agree the overall structure of a hospital, especially when you take into account management, HR, billing, maintenance, and other support personnel, is a matrix system. But, in my opinion, on a day-to-day basis, the core functions of a hospital are performed by teams that are created via divisional structure. A divisional structure is one whose grouping is based on organizational output--which in this case is the well-being of a patient. To care for one patient involves doctors from multiple specialties, as well as support from nurses, who also hail from various departments. For example, a car accident patient would need assistance from the Emergency Response team, from an Emergency Room, perhaps an OR team, a trauma doctor and nurse, an anesthesiologist, perhaps a doctor specializing in burn victims, and perhaps one specializing in bone fractures, brain injuries, lung punctures, etc. As the patient is uniting these different roles for the sake of one cause, I think the heart and soul of a hospital resides in a system of divisional structure.