Application Assignment
Week 10
Application Assignment
Week 10
For this week's
application assignment on Organizational Culture I will Spotlight Google as an
example of a powerful organization that has made efforts to weave a strong and cohesive cultural fabric throughout the corporation. Google strives to create an
organizational environment that promotes interaction and employees to connect
with each other. “We strive to
maintain the open culture often associated with start ups, in which everyone is
a hands-on contributor and feels comfortable sharing ideas and opinions. In our
weekly all-hands (“TGIF”) meetings—not to mention over email or in the
cafe—Googlers ask questions directly to Larry, Sergey and other execs about any
number of company issues” (Google.com) Google celebrates and all inclusive
approach to its employees and hires people from “all walks of life” and believes
that their diverse workforce is key into to their ever-increasing profit
margins. “At Google, being yourself is a job
requirement. When we encourage Googlers to express themselves, we really mean
it. In fact, we count on it. Intellectual curiosity and diverse perspectives
drive our policies, our work environment, our perks and our profits.”
This description of Google’s
culture reminded me of the culture of NASA in the multimedia case study “Columbia’s
Final Mission” that like NASA, Google
puts a considerable amount of emphasis on teamwork, exchange of ideas and
innovation. Innovation has been key to keeping both organizations at the
forefront of their industries. NASA, because of their resilience and
determination to collaborate at an international level to explore space, and develop new technology ; and for Google to be the trailblazers of Internet search ,
and to help individuals and business of all sizes claim placement and gain exposure
on the Internet.
The
Denison and Mishra reading exemplify
empirical evidence that Organizational culture is linked to organizational
effectiveness. “ These findings help support one of the
basic premises of many culture researchers: That the cultures of organizations
have an important influence on effectiveness.”(Denison & Mishra 1995) The
results in the study concluded that employee satisfaction and overall performance
were influence the organizational culture and that the actual; profits that were
influenced by organizational culture was finite. I believe that employee satisfaction
and performance are indeed important factors to look at when examining
organizational effectiveness, and while profits and stock prices are important to a organization's percieved success, it is not everything. The Denison & Mishra reading seeks to quantify this mystery around organizational success and organizational culture and find this to stand true in terms of employee performance and satisfaction. But I also think it undermines cultuaral power of individuls and how much culture can really inluence how an employee performs and therefore how much profit can be attained. If people are enthusiastic about thier jobs , doesnt that make them want to do more for the organization they work for--increasing thier organization's success, exposure, and bottomline. Corporations such as Google that invest in thier employees well being that corporations have high employee satisfaction rates and high profits---are they an exception to Denison and Mishra's Study?
References:
Bohmer, R., Edmonson, A., and Roberto, M. (2004) Columbia's Final Mission DVD Overview and Technical Specifications

Interesting post. You talk about how you think the Denison and Mishra (1995) model of culture and organizational effectiveness undermines the power of individuals. Why do you think this is the case? Can you elaborate on this point?
ReplyDeleteHi Dr. Neff,
DeleteI was referring to the verbiage that they used, and how that could possibly undermine their entire message. I thought they have been a little more enthusiastic with their word choice, in explaining how much Organizational culture influences organizational effectiveness. I think oreganizational culture is a very broad and "all encompassing" concept and that sometimes it flushes out the impotance of cultural individuality. Yes, I believe that when it comes to organizational effectiveness there is power in numbers, but I dont think I should entirely takeaway from individuality and how that individuality can inluence culture. I also thought that "culture" in the Denison & Mishra reading is used very broadly, and for the purposes of analyzing Google I took it to the next level by mentioning the cultural power of an individual person. I did this beacuse Google, is very concious of the power of one individual and when indivduals from diverse backgrounds are grouped together, it makes for a powerful exchange of ideas and therefore a powerful organization.I think they could have mentioned that in the findings.
Alexandra -- Excellent article! I like how you related our readings with the cultural environment at Google. Creating an environment that values diversity and inclusiveness is also a top priority at Lockheed Martin. I thought our readings really demonstrated how important these issues are to organizational effectiveness.
ReplyDelete