Monday, November 5, 2012

Week 8 - Informal Networks - Vicki Young -500

This week’s readings about social network theory and informal networks made me reexamine my own position within my organizations informal network. I came to realize that my personal relationships with the many internal and external customers that I have made are in reality an informal network that I utilize on a daily basis. Cross, Borgatti, & Parker echo this thought in their statement of its not who you know but “what you come to know” (2002, p.25).

Recently, my informal network of contacts have been used in interesting ways, the first instance occurred last May when my department was downsized. Overnight the department went from twelve people down to nine people. The next morning, I found myself with many new job responsibilities and the need to get up to speed rapidly. I reached out to my network to utilize its talents and to understand exactly how to manage these new job responsibilities. As Cross, Borgatti, & Parker stated “…in high turnover situations, it is increasingly important to get people connected more and more quickly so that they are productive for the organization“(2002, p.27).

The article written by Ibarra and Hunter reminded me of the last time I recently requested assistance from my informal network and this time I was not the person who initiated the request. The request came from my manager. About a year and a half ago, my organization acquired a new evaluation system and recently the grading algorithm inside the system was questioned. My manager, without causing an alarm, wanted to find out how the algorithm was used throughout the organization. He asked me to “contact your network” to find out how many rotations are currently using the algorithm. This acknowledgement of my informal network surprised me.

As Cross, Borgatti & Parker states the invisible networks are only somewhat understood by managers (2002, p26). Ibarra & Hunter agree managers believe that the associations with the current and potential customer base is a “distraction” from the “real work” (2007, p.2). It is interesting how much networking is done every day in our professional and personal lives. Gatekeeper, Liaison, and /or bridge which one or how many of these roles am I going to be tomorrow?

References:

Cross, R., Borgatti S.P. & Parker, A., (2002). Making Invisible Work Visible: using Social Network Analysis to Support Strategic Collaboration. California Management Review. 44 (2), 25-46.

Ibarra, H. & Hunter, M., (2007) How Leaders Create and Use Networks. Harvard Business Review. 1-9

7 comments:

  1. Nice application of the readings to your own work experiences. Krackhardt and Hanson (1993) talk about five common configurations of networks in organizations (imploded, irregular, fragile, holes and bow ties). Have you observed any of these configurations in your work organization? For example, it sounds like you could possibly be a bow tie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dr. Neff,

      I agree with you. I believe I am a bow-tie. But, lately in this role I feel like I am a bottleneck but, that may just be my perspective because of my lack of sleep. Which I don't care for. I love all the connections that I have made but, some times handling all the information makes me feel ill used.

      Delete
  2. Great post Vicki- That acknowledgement of your informal network is surprising, especially that he used the term "network". My boss usually says "See what you can find out about..." How do you feel when he asked you to leverage your relationships for his needs? I grapple with the fact that my informal network is based on my social skills, trust and integrity so should it be mine to exploit if I choose or my boss's? Did that cross your mind at all when your boss asked you about your network?-M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree with you when my boss leverages mt connections I felt like I should be the manager. If he wants connections he should make his own!

      Delete
  3. Great work Vicki. We wear many hats in our professions, do you identify with or are used more in one role more than any of the others -a gatekeeper, liaison, or bridge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LeiLani,

      Depending on the day I am all three.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you Vicki! Its almost impossible to not have or be part of some network within our professional lives and often we have several that we wear many hats within. Where do you fit into your networks. Are you the person people need for information? Are you constantly collecting information or data from others? How smoothly does your networks operate, especially during difficult times like the transition you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete