Organizational
Culture and High Turnover Rates
One of the patterns I have had to
contend with over the past three years of my career is high turnover
rates...mine and my employers’. For the past two years, I have bounced from one
organization to another because of volatile situations and upheavals ranging
from radical structural redesign to bankruptcy. Currently I work for a small PR
agency where none of the staff in the main office has been on board for more
than 18 months. I have been there three months, and the person I replaced had
also been there three months. During the interview process, I was told that a
majority of the employees have all been with the company a minimum of 10 years.
Perhaps it was my oversight, but it never occurred to me to ask, “are they
part-time or full-time?”
It turns out that all of the
long-term employees work part-time. As one might suspect, my question upon
realizing this has been, “why in the world are turnover rates (among full-time
staff) so high? This week’s readings
provide some answers. For example, the
Sorensen (2009) discussion on organizational culture and Hofstede’s (2009)
dimensions of organizational culture each offer a perspective that, taken together,
contributes to a better understanding of this situation.
First, Sorensen (2009) discusses
the ways in which an organization’s culture influences its behavior (p. 1).
Specifically, he explains that maintaining control is at odds with delegating authority,
which puts managers in the position of having to make decisions in the firm’s
best interest in highly uncertain situations. This plays out on a daily basis
because the agency is small and the owner moves into and out of projects on a
whim. Just as you get into a groove without the boss hovering over the account,
it all switches around because they are back in the middle of it again. This behavior connects with one managerial
problem Sorensen (2009) describes, namely the challenge to enact consistent behavior
even with ongoing turnover (p. 1). This
company has solved that problem by creating very detailed documents that
specify every single action an employee is supposed to take, and it is an
overwhelming amount of information to internalize.
About two weeks after I joined,
three key people left (two because of disability and one who quit). I was just
shown these documents on Friday! This incredibly thick notebook of
“dos-and-don’ts” now makes sense. It is a great resource – someone could land
from Mars and know exactly how the agency expects things to be done. Given the
turnover at this place, it would be impossible to keep retraining staff. My
regret is that this information didn’t cross my radar in the first week of
employment. This supports Sorensen’s (2009) findings that one must find
alternative ways to transmit beliefs unless a company has stable, long-term
employees (p. 4).
Next, Hofstede (2011) applies a set
of dimensions to organizations (p. 10). My observations are that this agency
possesses characteristics that are most likely to result in employee
turnover. I have been told “results”
matter, but the daily reality is that adhering to a rigid process is much more
important in terms of culture – and friendly interactions among employees are
frequently based on the degree to which one executes the process exactly as
prescribed. There is definitely the
“tight control” that Hofstede explicates – again, all of this makes sense in an
organization with high turnover, but it seems the high turnover instigates some
of these cultural realities.
Having a better understanding of
how the culture supports the uncertainty (i.e., a small agency is drastically
impacted by even one client defection) means that I can begin to take steps to
“get in line.” The company has been so
incredibly busy for the past three months, and I have had a difficult time
getting a read on the environment, but I do think these readings shed light on
what appears to be another short-term career move – though I would be
pleasantly surprised if I am mistaken. The agency exists in a state of uncertainty
because each client represents a substantial stake in the overall ability to
succeed. In order to deal with the uncertainty, a rigid process-heavy culture
has been created. This rigidity leads to high employee turnover, in theory, and
thus reinforces the agency’s need to strongly enforce its rules and
regulations.
References
Hofstede, G. (2009). Dimensionalizing cultures: The Hofstede
Model in Context.
Online
Readings in Psychology and Culture, Unit 2, 2(1), 1-13. Retrieved from
Sorensen, J.B. (2009). Note
on organizational culture (Case: OB-69). Stanford, CA:
Stanford Graduate School of
Business.
Thoughtful post, Cathy. What changes do you think need to take place in order to reduce turnover at your agency? If you were called in as a consultant to address this problem, what would your top recommendations be?
ReplyDeleteThank you, Dr. Neff. This is a great question.
ReplyDeleteThis agency makes serious strategic errors that directly impact its ability to maintain clients. I have only been on board three months, and already three clients have reduced or ceased to do business because of a matter that could have been prevented. The error lies in opting to rigidly adhere to the "billable hours" policy. Clients pay hefty retainers and every so often a client request is outside the scope of work.
My recommendation is to think more long-term strategy and not adhere so rigidly to the constraints of billable hours. Also, I recommend executive training to learn about the impact of this type of culture and how loosening up on processes might enable the agency to stretch every once in awhile. Three clients in three months -- yes, my eye is on the door!
One of the learning curves for me is having to limit myself in this way. I don't see this as a long-term career move. However, I certainly didn't feel that way initially. Now, especially after the readings, I realize that the culture of rigidity has emerged out of the org's behavior. The behavior is not likely to change which means the uncertainty will always be high, and subsequently the turnover, which means the rigidness continues. What a lousy catch-22 for the agency!
Cathy
Hi Cathy,
ReplyDeleteThis is a great example. While reading this I was realizing this assignment is probably making your company's shortfalls more and more apparent. I was surprised to hear that you have been there for three months and are just now getting the whole “dos and don’ts” manual. It sounds like organizational culture would be an excellent topic for the next staff retreat! I mention this because just today in my all staff meeting we has a values continuum exercise where we were read an opinion and chose our stance. It was great to see how much improvement we have made since June!
Erin
Thank you, Erin. This is great idea!
ReplyDelete